Former Westfield Board Chair and CEO, R. "Cary" Blair Passes Away
We are saddened to announce the recent passing of former Westfield Board Chair and CEO, R. "Cary" Blair, at the age of 84.
Cary's remarkable service and enduring legacy has left a lasting imprint on our company. He hailed from Hartford City, Indiana, and began his career at Westfield Companies while studying at Butler University. After serving in the U.S. Army, Cary returned to Westfield and quickly ascended into leadership roles, eventually becoming President in 1986 and CEO & Board Chair in 1991.
Under his guidance, Westfield experienced a transformative phase, launching new branding, technology, and diversification strategies. Cary played a pivotal role in the acquisition of two property/casualty companies, establishment of agency recognition programs, and the creation of Westfield Bank. After 42 years of dedicated service, Cary retired in 2003.
Cary often attributed his success to the opportunity to do different things and to the strong relationships he built throughout his career. His enduring legacy continues to inspire us and to shape the way we conduct business. As Westfield celebrates its 175th anniversary, we are grateful for the lasting impact Cary has made on our company. To read more about Cary's life and contributions, you can find his obituary here.
- Role Model | Cary's father served as his role model. “My father worked hard in a factory all his life with only an eighth-grade education. He wanted something better for his kids." – R. Cary Blair
- All-American Honors | Cary was named an All-American Basketball player at Butler University. He continued to enjoy the game by cheering on the Cavs from his seats at the Coliseum. Westfield continued this relationship with the Cavs throughout the years.
- Secret of Success | “Having the opportunity to do different things is the secret to my success." – R. Cary Blair
- 150th Anniversary in 1998 | R. Cary Blair Quotes
- “We toast the relationships built and maintained that truly separates this company from its peers." (R. Cary Blair 150th Anniversary remarks, 1998)
- “For the last 150 years, our relationships with our agents and our commitment to people have made Westfield Companies a leader in the industry. We continue to be the customer-driven company with a clear vision that will lead us into the 21st Century. (R. Cary Blair, Ohio Underwriter 1998)