steps to take if you get sued
Getting notice of a lawsuit can ruin anyone’s day. But don’t panic — help is available. Your Westfield policy may provide legal assistance if you’re being sued over a matter that’s covered by your insurance. Frequently covered liability claims include car accidents and slip-and-falls which occur at your business.
Follow these simple tips. We’re here for you. You don’t have to go through this alone.
If you receive legal documents
- Identify who at your business is authorized to accept service of legal papers, such as a complaint in a lawsuit.
- Keep all documents, including the post-marked envelope, and make sure to record the date you receive the documents.
- Other than reporting the lawsuit to your agent, don’t talk to anyone else about a lawsuit before you discuss it with your Westfield claims representative or your lawyer.
Contact your Westfield claims adjuster
If you receive lawsuit papers while a claim is in process, contact your claims adjuster immediately.
If you’re unsure how to contact your adjuster, call Westfield at 800.243.0210 option 3.
FIND AN AGENT
Independent Westfield agents are ready to help you understand your risks and find the coverage you need. Use our online tool to find an agent near you today.Find an Agent
FIND YOUR CAREER AT WESTFIELD
It's not just about looking for a job. It's about finding where you belong. Together we are forging bonds, building a community, making a difference, and growing with each other. Build your future at Westfield.Careers
WESTFIELD QUICK FACTS
- We're one of the largest non-public companies in Ohio and the largest employer in Medina County.
- We provide personal insurance in 10 states, commercial insurance in 21 states and surety products in 50 states through a network of more than a thousand leading independent agencies.
- We've sponsored the Cleveland Cavaliers Straight "A" All-Stars since 2005.