A Risk-Planning Teaching Tool Rises from a Jobsite Disaster
Miami, FL 2012: A parking garage under construction collapsed, dropping 3,300 tons of debris over an area of 16,000 square feet. Four people were killed and seven were injured, according to the Miami Herald. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration's investigation concluded:
- 12 critical locations were missed during the engineering inspection
- The grout-placing contractor missed two key locations
- Precast erector didn't use proper bracing or weld connections properly
- The general contractor didn't order correction of defect
- The concrete component manufacturer missed its subcontractor's mistakes
Remember, hindsight is always 20/20. By planning in advance and avoiding this series of oversights, you can prevent a similar construction site catastrophe.