insurance claims checklist
At Westfield we know that being prepared for an accident or a loss can help you weather the storm. Even though we hope that never happens to you, use this checklist to be ready when a loss strikes.
How to be Prepared For a Loss
- Have an emergency plan (e.g. how to evacuate your home or business, where you’ll go, etc.)
- Have an emergency contact list of everyone you might need to call, text or notify, should something happen (family, friends, employees, business partners, vendors, authorities like police and fire, and your insurance agent)
- Keep backups of important records and documents somewhere other than your home or business (that includes your insurance policies)
- Keep an inventory of your property so that you can accurately report losses (this might include pictures or purchase receipts for valuable items)
When You Experience a Loss
- Most important – do what you can to protect yourself and others from physical harm and make sure anyone who needs medical attention gets it.
- Contact the appropriate authorities — police, fire, public health officials, or others. Make a note of any investigating authorities in case you need to request a report later.
- Report the loss to Westfield as soon as possible.
- Get the name, address and phone number of any witnesses or others involved in the incident
- Protect property from further damage. Move it, cover it, plug the hole, bail water out, etc. Keep receipts for related expenses.
- Make sure no one other than the authorities, your claims professional or contractors performing emergency repairs can enter the scene of the loss. You want to preserve the scene and any evidence.
- Don’t use electrical equipment or devices exposed to smoke, fire or water.
- Take photos or video of damaged property to document the loss.
- Don’t throw away damaged property or start repairs without an OK from your claims professional first. Retain any items related to the cause of the incident.
For all other claims, call us at 800.243.0210 (option 3). We have trained folks ready to help you around-the-clock — 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Wherever you are and whenever you need us, we’ll be there. And now, so will your policy info.
SIGN UP NOW
WESTFIELD QUICK FACTS
- We're one of the largest non-public companies in Ohio and the largest employer in Medina County.
- We provide personal insurance in 10 states, commercial insurance in 21 states and surety products in 50 states through a network of more than a thousand leading independent agencies.
- We've sponsored the Cleveland Cavaliers Straight "A" All-Stars since 2005.