Illinois Department of Insurance Bulletin
Illinois Department of Insurance Issues Bulletin 2018-12 Regarding Suspension of Cancellation, Non-renewal and Premium Payments Due To Significant Storms in Christian County.
To help ensure Illinois policyholders are not adversely affected by this disaster or suffer unnecessary hardship, Westfield will be implementing the following safeguards effective immediately:
- Moratorium on cancellations and nonrenewals: For policyholders affected, Westfield will withdraw any cancellation or nonrenewal notice issued on or after November 23, 2018, on any in-force policy issued to an affected policyholder and/or property. Additionally, no new cancellation or nonrenewal notices will be issued to affected policyholders until January 23, 2019, or later if deemed reasonable given an individual consumer’s circumstance.
- Other insurance-related time-period extensions: Westfield will grant extensions to affected policyholders on any and all policy provisions or other requirements that impose a time limit. Extensions of not less than 60 days will be granted for submission of a claim or proof of loss, reporting information, submission of bills or payment of funds, from the last date allowed or required by the policy. Additional extensions will be granted as deemed reasonable given an individual’s circumstance.
- Time-Period extension for repairs: In the event repairs on affected property cannot be completed within the time period required under any policy, or within the 90-day time period for repairs prior to termination due to condition of the property, Westfield shall provide consumers with an extension of not less than 60 days to make such repairs.
- Other exceptions to policy or contract requirements or rating or underwriting rules: Westfield will consider exceptions to policy or contract requirements, or to other rating or underwriting rules not otherwise listed herein, when such contractual requirements or rating or underwriting rules are not met as a result of this disaster.
- Availability of the Illinois Department of Insurance. The Illinois Consumers Department of Insurance is available to all consumers for filing a complaint regarding any disaster-related dispute or issue. Consumers may call the Department’s toll-free complaint hotline at 1-866-445-5364, or file a complaint online at: https://mc.insurance.illinois.gov/messagecenter.nsf.
If you have further questions, please contact your Westfield agency.